Can I get an extension for my payment due date?

Within the first 30 days from the offense date, the Clerk is allowed to extend a one-time continuance for 60 days from the original due date. If a payment continuance is requested for a civil infraction payment, this request waives the individual’s right to elect driving school or later plead not guilty and request a court date. If you were charged with failing to carry your driver’s license, registration, or insurance, you must provide proper proof to the Clerk of Court within 30 days of the time of the stop along with the required $10 dismissible fee. Payment extensions are not allowed for dismissals.

If you were cited for failure to maintain proof of insurance and did not have valid insurance at the time of the stop, you may elect to enter a plea of nolo contendere and present proper proof of insurance to the Clerk of Court. Adjudication is withheld. This election and payment of costs ($78.80) must be made within 30 days to the Clerk of Court. Payment extensions are not allowed for elections as set forth in section 318.14(10)(a), Florida Statutes.

Show All Answers

1. What is a criminal traffic or misdemeanor charge?
2. What is a civil traffic infraction?
3. How soon after issuance must I pay the ticket?
4. What if I receive a letter from the State of Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (Florida DHSMV) informing me that my license will be suspended?
5. Can I get an extension for my payment due date?
6. Can I get an extension for my court date?
7. What happens if the ticket is not paid?
8. How do I enter a not guilty plea to a civil traffic infraction?
9. Who will be present at the non-jury hearing?
10. What must I do if the court finds me guilty?
11. Can the clerk's office advise me of points assessed against my license?