Stacy Butterfield, Polk County Clerk of Courts & Comptroller, has released her 2020 Strategic Update, a report that provides residents with an update on the work and development of the Clerk’s office.
Notable accomplishments in 2020 include:
- A new and improved Clerk website, optimized to increase ease of accessibility for customers.
- Five new services developed to increase customer access and engagement, and make online access to Clerk services easier:
- Do-it-Yourself Court Filings
- Online Marriage Applications
- Jury App
- Find My Courtroom
- Reinvention of court services to keep critical court functions moving while keeping customers and employees safe during COVID-19.
- Implementation of technology to allow for virtual hearings. A total of 74,648 virtual hearings were held in 2020 in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A Jury Service Bill championed by Clerk Butterfield was signed into law, providing a new jury duty excusal criterion for students. Full-time students have the option of excusal from jury service in order to continue their studies without interruption.
The report details the advancements of the Clerk’s Strategic Plan. The plan focuses on four key strategies, which include enhanced customer access, greater transparency and accountability in county government, exceptional customer service, and community engagement.
“I value the significant responsibility delegated to the Clerk’s office, and I continuously seek to provide the highest standard of service. My team went above and beyond in the face of the most difficult circumstances to ensure that the wheels of justice continued to turn and critical Clerk services remained available to the community in the midst of widespread shutdowns.” Clerk Butterfield said, “The strategic goals I set for my office at the start of my first term—implementing new technology, maintaining top-notch service, and preparing for the unpredictable-- have laid the groundwork for my office to adapt to succeed during the most unpredictable circumstances imaginable. The 2020 Strategic Update highlights the successes made possible by my team, and showcases their hard work and dedication to upholding public service and trust. I am proud to share our achievements with the Polk County community.”