Among the large number of questions the clerk receives, there are a few that are asked more than most. Here you will find many of these "Frequently Asked Questions" and their answers. If your particular question is not here, or you need elaboration on an answer given here, feel free to call the department.
Click the question below to be taken to your answer.
- Assistance for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Child Support and Alimony
- Defensive Driving School
- Jury Service
- Landlords and Tenants
- Marriage Licenses
- Simplified Divorce
- Small Claims Court
- Traffic Tickets/Traffic Court
- Wills and Estates
1. Assistance for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Do you qualify to file a "Petition for Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence"?
- What is an injunction?
- Where can I obtain an injunction?
- What are the costs?
- What can the injunction do for you?
- What happens after the Judge grants the temporary injunction?
2. Child Support /Alimony
- What do I do if I need help with Child Support and Alimony?
3. Defensive Driving School
- Who may make an election to attend Defensive Driving School?
- What is the benefit of making an election?
- Do I have to pay to elect a defensive driving course?
- How can I elect to attend a defensive driving course?
- Do I need to do anything else after I attend the defensive driving course?
- Can I change my mind after I elect to attend a defensive driving course?
- How many times can I elect to attend a defensive driving school course?
- What if I receive a ticket outside Polk County?
- Where can I get more information about an election?
4. Jury Service
- Juror Qualifications
- Jury Summons
- Exemptions from Jury Duty
- Payment For Jury Duty
- "Voir Dire" or Examination of Jurors
- Length of Service
- Types of Trials
- Important Things to Remember During the Trial
5. Landlords and Tenants
- Oral and Written Leases
- Access To The Premises
- Landlord's Obligation To Maintain Premises
- Tenant's Obligation To Maintain Premises
- If the Landlord Does Not Comply
- If the Tenant Does Not Comply
- Failure To Meet Lease Obligations
- Non-Payment of Rent
- Prohibited Practices
- Termination Of Tenancy
- Practical Pointers
6. Marriage Licenses
- Who May Apply For A Marriage License?
- Where Consent Is Required, Is Consent Of Both Parents Required?
- Is There A Waiting Period For Issuance Of The License?
- Who are the approved providers of the marriage class in Polk County?
- Are Blood Tests And Physical Exams Required?
- Are there any other requirements?
- What is the appropriate identification required?
- Must I Apply For A Marriage License In The County Where I Live?
- Where Can I Apply For A Marriage License In Polk County?
- How Long Is A Marriage License Valid Once It Is Issued?
- Who May Perform Marriage Ceremonies?
- Who Is A "Regularly Ordained Minister"?
- May A Marriage Be Solemnized Without A License?
- When And Who Should Return The License To The Clerk?
- Can I Be Married In The Clerk's Office?
- What Is The Fee For A Marriage License?
- Can I Pay For My Marriage License With A Personal Check?
- Changing Information On Documents
- Where To Write For A Copy Of Your Marriage License
7. Simplified Divorce
- What is a simplified divorce?
- What are the requirements for a simplified divorce?
- Where can we file for a simplified divorce?
- What do we need to bring with us?
- Do we have to have an attorney?
- What does it cost to file for a simplified divorce?
- How long will it take for our divorce to become final?
- What happens after the Judge signs the Final Judgment?
- Can we change our mind after we have filed for a simplified dissolution
- Do we have to file for a divorce in the county where we reside?
8. Small Claims Court
- What is a Small Claims Case?
- Do I need a Lawyer?
- Who can file a Small Claims case?
- What does it cost to file a Small Claims case?
- What information do I need to file a Small Claims case?
- Are there other requirements?
- What happens after I file my Small Claims case?
- Why use Mediation?
- Can I have a jury trial on my small claims case?
- What happens to my case if a settlement is reached?
- How can I collect my judgment?
- Can I file a lien against the defendant's property?
9. Traffic Tickets/Traffic Court
- What is a criminal traffic or misdemeanor charge?
- What is a civil traffic infraction?
- How soon after issuance must I pay the ticket?
- Can I get an extension for my payment due date?
- Can I get an extension for my court date?
- What happens if the ticket is not paid?
- Are there other options available to me other than paying my ticket?
- How do I enter a not guilty plea to a civil traffic infraction?
- Who will be present at the non-jury hearing?
- What must I do if the court finds me guilty?
- Can the Clerk's office advise me of points assessed against my license?
10. Wills and Estates
- What is probate?
- What is a will? When and where should it be filed?
- Do you need an attorney to deposit a will?
- Are there different types of proceedings that can be filed depending on the size of the estate?
- What happens if a person dies and has left no will?
- What happens if there is a will filed but no personal representative?
- How are probate proceedings initiated?
- What type of paperwork must accompany the form for filing a disposition of personal property without administration?
- What happens after this information is filed with the Clerk?